The German destroyer Z51 was the only ship of the Type 1942 destroyer class built for the Kriegsmarine. She was the first destroyer designed or built by the Kriegsmarine to use diesel fuel, which would have given it a longer range and readier access to refueling compared to fuel oil. Z51 was ordered on 25 November 1942, and launched on 2 October 1944, far before being finished, likely to clear her slipway for U-boat construction. She was left floating outside Bremen and was sunk in an air raid on 21 March 1945. She was broken up between 1948 and 1949.